Thursday, April 19, 2012

Birth Story

We went in to be induced Tuesday at 8PM. We took Mikah to Josh and Cari's and made our way to the hospital. We arrived and they started me on pitocin around 10PM. Contractions started right away. I was dilated to a 2 when we arrived and around 2 I was a three. I asked for a epidural because the contractions were getting stronger and I didn't want to have to feel them when they got worse.

They called the anesthesiologist and said he'd be there in an hour or so. They kept getting stronger and was not very happy because I really just wanted to get to sleep and relax. The anesthesiologist  got there around 3:30 and the got the epidural in. He was worried that it wasn't going to work on the left side - and it didn't, so he came back in an hour later and got it fixed. So around 5:00 I was finally able to relax and try and get some sleep. I was dilated to a five and was very excited that the labor was moving along a lot faster than Mikah's.

I tried really hard to go to sleep, but everytime I did,  an alarm would go off because my oxygen level was too low. It was really annoying, but I got a few minutes of sleep. I was an 8-9 around 7AM and close to 10 at 9. Around 9:40 we started pushing. After about 10 pushes, he was out! He was born at 10:02AM! I couldn't believe it! It was so much faster than Mikah's delivery.

All the nurses kept saying, he's a big boy. I was wanting to know how big! He had some respiratory problems at first so the respiratory therapist came in to help clear his lungs. They finally weighed him and I couldn't believe that I had just given birth to a (almost) 9 lb baby!

I was very excited to see that he had lots of hair. :) I nursed him pretty quickly and we were able to keep him in the room. I wasn't feeling great after labor, so Mikah came later that day. We were able to come home the next afternoon! It's nice to be home and have my mom here.

Lots of pictures and stories to come....

2 comments:

Tess said...

I love reading birth stories! I'm glad things went so smoothly and I love the name Andrew!

Chelsea said...

Congrats! He's so perfect!